Sunday, November 4, 2007

Notice the ‘C’ or the other ‘c’

I see him. There across the street – Lawrence of Arabia (see previous blog post) – wrapped in the same soaked sleeping bag, shuffling down the street. I have to admit that as I drove here (Peets Coffee) I scanned the streets looking for him. Was I hoping to find him and have another moment that pushed more clarity into my still hazy perspective and future? Was I secretly hoping I wouldn’t see him so the natural ‘what happened this time’ question could be avoided? I am actually not sure. And if I had to choose? To borrow from a friend and lead pastor – “It’s not an either/or, it’s a both/and.”
I can’t tell you how many times I have a conversation about my interaction with ‘Lawrence’ or how many times I think about our conversation… “yeah, I like it out here” set against the lyrics of the song as it screams to “piss it all away, flush it all away” – and I am on the way to the office, to take care of the church (Church?). Is that wrong? Should I forsake everything and become a Mother Teresa archetype? Should I go to the church (notice small ‘c’) and try to get the Church (notice big ‘C’) out of the church (notice small ’c’) and into the community in real, tangible and authentic relationships?
Again I borrow = “It’s not an either/or, it’s a both/and.”

At least, I hope that is true.

I spoke about leadership today to a group of Bible college students, profs and a dean. The things that came to the surface…Jesus came to serve (Mark 10:43-45), what matters? faith expressed in love (Gal. 5:6) and it is not easy but we keep going because of Christ. I talked about ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ and his life and impact on me – and then it happened. In reference to what the church spends much of its time doing and how little has changed in as long as I can remember (connecting Christians with other Christians to make us better Christians so our Christian stuff will be a better representation of being a Christian), I said, “What the h*ll are we doing?!” – I had prepared everyone to expect something like that, but that’s not what happened. What happened was what I didn’t expect to happen: my bottom lip quivered and my eyes tingled = I almost got emotional over a homeless guy, my job and the relationship of the Church with the community. Talk about a surprise. The last time I got emotional in front of a group of people was….. uh, it happened when I ….. , well you get the idea. Then, just as fast as it hit me, it was gone.
So what?
Well, I don’t really know, but I wonder…
>How many times did Jesus get emotional about people, His Church and the Community?
>Why does everyone know the shortest verse in the Bible is ‘Jesus wept?’
>How many of those same people know what He wept over?
>When was the last time we, the Church, wept about people – neighbors and strangers and nationals and family and …..?
>What is next? (people, place, effort, money, etc…)

So should I have cussed or should I have been more ‘in control’ – I think there is something good to be said about both. The dean told me I wasn’t going to get ‘in trouble’ and some students wanted my e-mail. They talked about bringing me back soon – time will tell. I guess that really, when all is said and done, “It’s not an either/or, it’s a both/and.”

3 comments:

  1. This is not a comment exactly to either this post or your first one, and yet it is a response to your experience with "Lawrence of Arabia". We haven't had this type of homeless person placed in our path by the Lord, as you have. (He places people in your path that He knows you really can help… or who can help you.) But the way you describe the situation, the man, your interaction with him, and your thoughts about it, all point to the certainty that it is the Lord's doing. He sets up these encounters, as He leads us out of ourselves and towards Him. Christ is always "already out there" looking for His lost sheep. We have to know we are blessed when He lets us follow Him as He goes out to minister to His people. Yes, His people. The ones that have been savaged by the brigand (the evil one) and left lying in the dust of death. Christ, the good Samaritan, goes and does what He can for them. They have to let Him, and we have to agree to help. Those are the only two conditions. Then, wherever He goes, if we follow His footsteps, we will be confirmed in our faith by the signs, just as the Apostles were. Because Jesus is alive and well and doing His work in the world right now, He still calls us to follow Him right now and be apostles, and His all good, holy and life-giving Spirit still endorses the Message with the signs that follow.

    How can I write these words?
    He has dealt with us the same way.
    You can read about it in our blogs, Cost of Discipleship, and a crossbearer's pilgrimage, and you can judge for yourself if our testimony is true.

    Go with God, my brother! He has called you, and He will not fail you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RA
    Dude - L of Arabia is mentally ill. He needs help. You provided what the Lord gave you in that moment. He needs a shower, a meal, a job, some serious counseling/meds then Jesus.

    He doesn't need the 'already out there- Jesus.' What is that? Christianity for the X-files?

    He needs The Jesus that seeks the heart, heals hearts and minds and forgives.

    Isn't that the Jesus we serve?
    Big c or little c? We are His church. His bride. The only reason church should be 'practiced' is to identify with and love whoever Jesus loves.

    Until I see that happening in my 'church'- I will be a pleasant back pew observer.

    Lovn u
    bg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment to Brad—
    Dude, I've never watched the X-Files but I've heard of the series, and I wanted to understand your reason for saying "He doesn't need the 'already out there Jesus'" in reference to what I wrote, "Christ is always 'already out there' looking for His lost sheep." Perhaps you don't understand my meaning, but I want to understand yours, so I looked up X-Files in Wikipedia. Here's what I found—

    The X-Files is an American Peabody and Emmy Award-winning science fiction television series created by Chris Carter, which first aired on September 10, 1993, and ended on May 19, 2002. The show was one of the American FOX network's first major hits, and its main characters and slogans (e.g. "The Truth Is Out There," "Trust No One," "I Want to Believe") became pop culture touchstones. The X-Files is seen as a defining series of the 1990s, coinciding with the era's widespread mistrust of governments, interest in conspiracy theories and spirituality, and the belief in the existence of extraterrestrial life.

    Of course, that's just the beginning of the article, but it told me enough, I think. Perhaps you're identifying my saying "Christ is always already out there" with the saying "The Truth is out there" from the show. Never having watched the series, I don't know what their saying means, but I doubt it means that "Jesus is alive and well and the most active person in the history of the world, looking for and saving His lost sheep," which is what I mean by what I say.

    Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete